2009 has been a hectic year for me so far – many projects and lots of work, which has meant that development of the Dynamic Content Gallery plugin for WordPress had to take a back seat for a short while. Happily, I’m back on the case and the good news is that I am close to releasing an updated version!
In fact there are many new features, hence the decision to jump to version 3.0 rather than 2.3. Don’t worry though, backwards compatibility remains, so if you don’t want/need the new features, the new version will work exactly like the current version – but with cleaner, and quicker, code.
Here are the changes and new features scheduled for version 3.0:
- Offer an alternative jQuery script – plugin conflicts should be a thing of the past. The user will be able to select either the existing Mootools script, or the alternative jQuery script.
- 3 options for how to use the plugin – the current way (selection of categories and posts, max 5 images), a simplified way (posts pulled from one category, user-definable number of images to display) and pages.
- A general clean-up of the code
- Revised Settings page with, hopefully, clearer instructions for use
- New options to control the image transitions (type of transition, timing etc)
Expected release date for the version 3.0 Release Candidate:
8th August 2009 13th August 2009.
Expected release date for the final version 3.0:
15th August 2009 17th August 2009.
Update 12 August 2009:
Typical development slippage, I’m afraid, probably because I’m being ambitious with the very many improvements. :-/
Therefore it’s likely that I will need to release this in 2 steps – the first release to deal with the behind the scenes improvements and improved configuration options for users (pages, one category with user-defined posts, increase from 5 to 10 images of mixed categories/posts), and the second to introduce the jQuery gallery option. I was also hoping to incorporate the full 2.8 Dashboard experience for the Settings page (clickable, draggable config boxes etc), but this is still largely undocumented by the WordPress community and I haven’t managed to fully implement it. This is candy really, I shall put those tweaks back to the next development phase.